The power of touch

Bryan Brodie brb at appimatic.com
Mon Dec 12 17:45:30 EST 2016

Hi folks,

I agree 100% with Gavin on most points. Lenovo makes some awesome gear for
Windows / Linux, so that is where I spend my money now.

I do hanker after a Surface Studio, but we'll see how well that could run
Linux natively (otherwise, hello VirtualBox) . . .

Touch-UI on MacOS won't be touchscreen Macs anytime soon, if ever.

Control Strip? Remember those funky home-PC keyboards back in Y2K that had
buttons for "news", "shopping" and "email"? Same gimmick.

The lack of an actual touch UI on MacOS will detrimentally affect rapid
creation of 'universal' touch software using Omnis Studio.

After owning Macs continuously since 1984 and developing cross-platform
applications on Omnis 3/5/7/Studio, I have transitioned to Linux.

Now my focus is creating responsive web applications with consistent look /
feel across Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. Twitter Bootstrap
provides this.

Check out http://keenthemes.com/preview/metronic/theme/admin_1/index.html
for an example.

This theme set is $29 per customer site. Free design support included. It's
an amazing tool kit. They update it every year.

Wiring up the back end code (PHP for me) is daunting, but it's all open
source and, for the most part, free - including the server software.
There's tons of examples / help on Stack Overflow and elsewhere on the
'net.

But --- not Omnis Studio compatible.  :-(

(I do use a tool I built with Studio in my web app development process -
patent pending ;-)

I look forward to seeing where the new management takes Omnis in the
near-term and long-term.

Thanks, that's my two cents worth.

Bryan Brodie