Locking

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Mon Dec 12 10:00:28 EST 2016


I’ll get shot for saying this

personal opinion is that df1 has no really valid use cases and that all use cases can be covered with better technology at little or no cost.

postgres and sqllite are free, can easily be deployed on any machine (including for personal databases), are far faster and more capable.   you an even treat them like df1’s with single file finds, connected records and all that stuff…

but, being sql, offer up a whole lot more.      and they address where technology is going --- that byte range locking support in an operating system is going to eventually fade away.

the signposts have been there for a long time.   ODB  (circa Omnis 3.8) was the advance warning that this style of db support was getting problematic, so there has been well over a decade that we’ve all known about it.




Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978

> On Dec 11, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Bryan Brodie <brb at appimatic.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> From reading the V8 tech notes, I got the impression that traditional
> LAN-locking of the DF1 file was no longer possible from a Mac OS (X)
> client, but it seemed to me that it was still supported in Windows. Don't
> know about Linux.
> 
> I've not upgraded so I cannot offer more insight, other than to say, not
> every solution requires SQL and net-shared DF1 has many valid use cases.
> 
> I hate to see it go away, but that's where we're headed.
> 
> DF1-type logic would be an incredible option for solely local storage in a
> truly mobile (iOS / Android) Omnis runtime (not JS/server based).
> 
> Like I've stated previously, I can dream...
> 
> Bryan Brodie
> 
> From: "wendy" <wizardcompserv at gmail.com>
>> Subject: RE: Locking
>> 
>> Hi
>> 
>> I hope you are wrong there because the omnis handling of locking is so
>> simple
>> 
>> Kind regards
>> Wendy Osbaldestin
>> Wizard Computer Services
>> Tel:  01260271647
>> Mobile: 07740541021
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Mike Matthews
>> Sent: 11 December 2016 12:35
>> To: OmnisDev List - English
>> Subject: Re: Locking
>> 
>> Locking as in Database DF1 locking?
>> 
>> If so, I didn't think this was now supported without the ODB.
>> 
>> Mike
>> 
>> Mike Matthews,
>> Managing Director, SQLWorks Software Ltd
>> 
>> Tel: +44 (0)1271 375999
>> 
>> Email: mike.matthews at sqlworks.co.uk
>> 
>> Web: www.sqlworks.co.uk
>> 
>> Use SQLWorks, forget Sage, ACT!, Opera, Access & SAP
>> 
>> On 11 Dec 2016, at 08:00, Chris Hughes <ataddata at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> 
>>> Anybody else had trouble with locking on Omnis Studio 8.
>>> Info:-
>>> Omnis native data file.
>>> 
>>> On same server as before that had Omnis studio 4 running on it looking
>>> into a refurbished data base. refurbished one will be uni-code I
>>> assume)
>>> 
>>> Server Microsoft not the latest.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Chris Hughes
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Copious Data Pty Ltd (Trading as Atad Data)
>>> 
>>> Unit 8 /3460 Pacific Highway
>>> 
>>> Springwood QLD 4127
>>> 
>>> Phone No:- 07 3208 6347
>>> 
>>> Mobile No:- 0409 263 349
>>> 
>>> Fax No:- 07 3208 9347
>>> 
>>> Email:- ataddata at bigpond.net.au
>>> 
>>> Web Site:- http://ataddata.com.au
>> 
> _____________________________________________________________
> Manage your list subscriptions at http://lists.omnis-dev.com



More information about the omnisdev-en mailing list