Citrix, AWS, and Omnis 6

Bastiaan Olij bastiaan at basenlily.me
Tue Dec 2 19:28:38 EST 2014

Hey Mark,

Besides the obvious discussions played out in recent years about giving
users their own library citrix seems to work pretty stable. This is
where installing Omnis according to UAC rules does work into your
advantage as each user has their own copy of any writeable files.

Do note that in doing so each user has their own omnis.cfg and serial
information so each user will authenticate with the license server. That
should not be an issue if your serial number is a multi user serial
number and as in theory the same hardware ID is used the license server
will probably count it as a single activation anyway. The only issue
happens if the hardware ID isn't static which could be the case if
you're load balancing between multiple Citrix servers.

The footnote that must be given though seeing you are deploying on AWS,
we have two clients of ours who both are using Hyper-V virtualisation of
their servers and run a Citrix (or MS equivalent) installation on top of
that who both have reported performance issues. We are still at a loss
to pinpoint the cause and what in, and indeed if, Omnis is causing the
issues. It does however seem that the double virtualisation is at the
heart of the problem as the problems melt away as soon as you install
Citrix on dedicated hardware.

I have no idea how Hyper-V stacks up or is comparable with AWS (not to
mention that I hold the people behind AWS in high regard, they seem to
have configured those systems amazingly well) but it is worth testing
performance of your application before you commit.

Cheers,

Bas