O$5.2 - Omnis Web Services - debugging

Brian O'Sullivan brian.os at verizon.net
Tue Aug 12 20:55:27 EDT 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Paul Mulroney <pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au> wrote:

> When we were doing the initial development, the other developers who wrote the web services we connect to changed their API calls a few times, so we've re-run the web services wizard a few times.  I think we're up to version 4.  We had similar issues where the old one worked but the new one didn't.  At the time I just put it down to a caching problem - we often deleted the java cache file and restarted Omnis, and then it would come good.

Ah yes… having to recompile the jar file for every little change in the API is a bit of a pain. We maintain a separate project in our VCS for the jar files. Each time one changes, the other developers copy out the most recent version to their local “java/webservices” subdirectory, delete the java cache file, then restart Omnis. This has been a consistently reliable SOP for us so far.

I downloaded the SoapUI installer this morning, anticipating we may have to go that route, but then my lead developer found the problem with our newest conundrum: the Omnis WS-object was bound to the wrong web-app-server! (at the moment we have two similarly-named QA servers… easy to mix up!) The WS call was running successfully, but the data key passed to it did not exist in the database environment serviced by the web-app-server, and so we were not receiving the expected data in the return parameters. Oy… nothing like a little unintentional misdirection to drive oneself crazy! We were quite happy to find this was an error of our own design and nothing at fault with the Omnis WS framework.

> Good luck with your upgrade - I hope it goes smoothly!

Thank you. The Omnis upgrade is from v5.1 to v6.0.2, but the big change is from our former “mothership’s” mainframe-hosted DB2 to linux-hosted Oracle; from COBOL batch programs kicked-off by JES-files ftp’d to the mainframe, to web-services written in C#.

-brian o’sullivan; bear, delaware, USA