References while sorting lists

Michael Monschau michael at brainydata.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 14:18:41 EDT 2013

Hi Will,

I am not sure I understand your question but I have a go

When you do

Set reference ref to [$cfield.$dataname]

Omnis expects the contents of the square brackets to contain a notation string it can create a reference from. However $cfield.$dataname will just return a variable name which is in it self is not valid notation. However when you do

Set reference ref to [$cfield.$dataname].$ref

what Omnis receives is something like ivMyVar.$ref which is a valid notation string and Omnis knows what to do with it.

When you have to pass an item reference as a parameter to a notation function, the same rules apply as they do for the Set reference command.

Regards,
Michael

Michael Monschau (Director)
Brainy Data Limited