JsDroplist in Remote Forms and Kdroplist window(Both in Omnis Studio 6)

David Swain dataguru at polymath-bus-sys.com
Thu Aug 8 07:59:54 EDT 2013

Ambrose,

Two steps (in the simple explanation anyway):

1. Add another column to the list variable to hold the "displayText" (my name for this column). Make this the column displayed by the droplist field.

2. Write a routine that populates this column, incorporating the contents of the columns you wish to display. But don't bother using the style() function, as this doesn't translate to the technologies used on the face of your form. Instead, build the text to define a single row table with multiple divisions in HTML, which will be properly interpreted on the form. (Bear in mind that multi-column droplists are non-standard...) This also works for the jsList field type, which is otherwise also limited to displaying 1 column of content (as is the basic list field for a Window class - which does provide the calculation option where we can craft jst()- or con(style())-based multi-column definitions).

I demonstrate this technique, among many others, in the "Creating Web & Mobile Apps with Omnis Studio JavaScript Client" course to be given at the Irvine, CA offices of Tigerlogic the week after next. Still plenty of room!

Regards,

David