O$ - 4.3.1 - Print to PDF & Email

Joe Maus jmaus at theccgllc.com
Thu Apr 25 13:16:55 EDT 2013

I've used PDF995 on the PC side, seems to be robust and you can tell when the process is finished writing the file so you can attach to an e-mail.  This was a solution someone else was using when I came along.  Otherwise, many of the others will work well too.

Too bad it's not like on the mac where it's so simple to create a PDF.

On Apr 22, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Jeffrey Jones wrote:

> Thanks to all for the suggestions.
>
> I'll try the Fileops and see if that works for me.
>
> Hopefully version 6 will have a better PDF writer and it will make it easier.
>
> -Jeff
>

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Kim Sumner <tech at corporate-windows.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff
>> Unfortunately no. I've been doing exactly the same thing.
>> There seems to be no way to talk directly to the bullzip driver (ie. To pass
>> a file name, determine print completion etc.).
>>
>> I also tried using a loop to determine when the driver has finished writing
>> the file. Works OK but have had fileops errors due to customer having
>> "other" utilities that grab the file after writing it so cannot reliably
>> move or rename. I had to set Bullzip's user prefs to a specific
>> file/pathname but couldn't bypass the dialogue without it writing the file
>> to the wrong place (ie. into the Windows System folder).
>>
>> Overall very tedious and fragile as well as messy. I give it a 3/10.
>>
>> About to audition the Brainy Data product and see if this gives me a better
>> result. Expensive but may provide an integrated solution.
>>
>> It's moments like these I _love_ my Mac :)
>>
>> Kim Sumner
>> Corporate Windows Pty Ltd, AUSTRALIA
>> Tel: +61-3-5338-8232
>>
>> WebPublisher Studio - Share your data with the World
>> http://www.webpublisherstudio.com
>> Omnis Studio Database Server Development Toolkit
>>

>>> From: Jeffrey Jones <jjones at synergos.com>
>>> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:39:16 -0700
>>> To: OmnisDev List - English <omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com>
>>> Subject: O$ - 4.3.1 - Print to PDF & Email
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Studio 4.3.1 - Windows
>>>
>>> I'm using the Bullzip PDF Writer to create PDF files in the background, moving
>>> them to a specific client folder and emailing them as an attachment.
>>>
>>> The process is working, but I've had to put in some loops to create delays,
>>> because I need to wait for the PDF Writer to finish printing before moving and
>>> then emailing the file.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a way to determine when the printer is actually finished?

Regards,

Joe Maus
jmaus at theccgllc.com