O$ - kCr and kLf in Plain Text Email

Scotte Meredith spomacguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:09:49 EST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 7:36 AM, Michael Mantkowski wrote:

> Having an issue with different email providers using the SMTP command.
>
> We create Plain Text Reminder messages in our application that are sent via
> the SMTP command.
>
> With some ISPs you can use CR to start a new line.  On others, you need to
> use CRLF or all the sentences run together.  However, on other ISPs (i.e.
> Yahoo Plus) if you use a LF you get Error -1229 sent back from the SMTP
> command and the email fails.
>
> Does anyone know how I can account for all situations?

According to RFC 2822, the Internet Message Format standard:

The body of a message is simply lines of US-ASCII characters.  The
   only two limitations on the body are as follows:

   - CR and LF MUST only occur together as CRLF; they MUST NOT appear
     independently in the body.

   - Lines of characters in the body MUST be limited to 998 characters,
     and SHOULD be limited to 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.

Scotte Meredith
SpoMacGuy at gmail.com