MySql Import speed(Was mysql version OSX)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Tue Dec 21 19:57:45 EST 2010

On 12/21/2010 05:54 PM, Mike Matthews wrote:
> The big issue here was this BigRedBox, did I mention this before?  We
> don't know jack diddly about it, and even less about the admin
> passwords, etc.  But we took out the HD and then had the data out
> anyway.

For future reference, once you have physical access to the machine, you
don't need to care about admin passwords. Unless they put a password on
the boot loader, which is very unlikely, you can boot in single user
mode, change the root password to whatever you want, reboot, and you'll
be the new king of the domain. If there is a password on the boot
loader, it's still pretty easy to work around. You put that drive into
another machine, boot from another device, copy the line in /etc/shadow
corresponding to the user for whom you want to change the password from
a machine where you know the password, and overwrite that line in
/etc/shadow in the drive where you don't know the password for that user.

> The problem was that the mail server software services wouldn't
> start, file sharing services wouldn't start, so now you know.

Sounds suspiciously like a full filesystem problem. If you mounted all
the filesystems on that drive and do a "df -h", you'll probably see
"100%" in the "Use%" column for one of the filesystems. It could also be
stale lock files preventing the daemons from starting because of a dirty
shutdown. Again, for future reference, try:

/etc/init.d/<daemon name> start

and see what, if anything, is echoed to the console. You could monitor
the log in real-time by doing:

tail -f /var/log/messages (or whatever the log file is for that
particular daemon - just list the log files in /var/log)

That often provides good clues on what is happening.

> Every
> day that goes by, the data becomes out of date and more irrelevant.
> They have all the new email, but no old stuff at all, as it was
> accessed by webmail.  There is no support for this box, unpaid
> support invoices, a bankrupt company, etc, a whole nasty can of
> worms.

You don't need no stinkin' support from a "vendor" if you understand
Linux or if you know whom to ask. :)

> I got the data imported in about 4 hours in the end by
> turning the log-output=NONE, but interestingly on a Win32 box and
> MySql v5.1, the import struggled to get anywhere, but my MBP and with
> v5.58, it did it in about 4 hours.
>
> I just used the WorkBench and the Import section, seemed simple
> enough, which suits me, just a pain that I had to update the one file
> and make the my.cnf file which is just plain stoopid.
>
> All academic as the customer bit the bullet, paid the old support
> invoices, and will hopefully get the BigRedBox, that really is the
> name, and it is Red, back working so that the old historical email
> can be pulled out.  The sql data is very obfuscated when I looked,
> mostly BLOBs and just pkeys, so impossible to make a valid judgement
> in a few hours.

My inclination would be to get it working first and then figure out a
migration strategy when you're not under the gun. It should be quite
feasible to get it working again.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay