OS4.3.1 Drag and drop fields

Kelly Burgess kellyb at montana.com
Thu Apr 23 03:48:43 EDT 2009

Hi Mike,

>Does this mean that you can't drag items from the Finder, or indeed
>any/many other applications?

No, and indeed maybe.

Mac Finder (and Windows Explorer) drags give you a list of file paths
- not that long ago you'd drag 3 files at once but only get the first
path, at least my earlier efforts were seeing that - but now you get
a two column list of paths and filetypes.

What I said earlier was that the Finder doesn't read the files'
*contents* to populate the drag info - it wouldn't have time/memory
to do that.  But you do get the paths.

Something dragged out of another app isn't necessarily a tidy bundle
like a file that's completely describable with a path, and that's
where the huge variety of possible forms of data being dragged will
give the receiver fits.  With Mail, I just get blanks for a dragged
message.  On Windows, they did enhance Studio recently for Outlook
drags, but nothing else, far as I know.

Kelly