AW: O$: Null Fields

Bastiaan Olij lists at basenlily.nl
Wed Apr 22 17:39:26 EDT 2009

Hi Rudolf and Cliff,

This is also true for Sybase, I'm guessing that means also MS SQL will
hold true to this. If you supply a value, the database will ignore the
default, even if that value is NULL.

Never tried this on any other databases though.

Greetz,

Bas

Rudolf Bargholz wrote:
> Hi Cliff,
>
> Just spent a couple of days thinking I was very smart and attempting to
implement what you describe below. I went through all our schemas and
assigned an additional property to the schema column in order to set a
DEFAULT value, only to find out in the end if you explicitly insert a
NULL into a column (at least with DB2), then DB2 will insert the NULL,
irrespective of the value you supply as a default. Only if you do not
supply the column in your insert statement will the default value be
inserted.

> In your example below, could you try:
>
> insert into test (id, foo, bar) values (default, cast(NULL as char(1)),
99);

> and have a look what you get returned from the select? In DB2, to my
dismay, it was NULL and not the expected empty value. Could have kicked
myself following this white elephant and wasting so much time without
testing thoroughly first. A