OT: A product from my University

Sten-Erik Björling s-e.bjorling at enviro.se
Fri May 30 00:04:53 EDT 2008

HI all,

Some thoughts...

- One cannot expect to replace the current levels of fuels for
transportation with biofuels - cannot be done. The only viable
alternative is to change behavior. And to start changing the societies
to be less dependent on fossil fuel transportation - more rail, public
transportation, urban planning centered on zoning supporting more
local communities using IT-based communication for knowledge workers
lessening the need for traveling long distances to work etc.

- Much of the current price hikes on oil is tracked back to hedge fund
speculation and speculators in commodities.

- The alternatives that will come up during the next couple of years
will be fragile - fuel cells technology will have to mature enough to
support engines with greater usable times than 200 - 400 hours before
replacement, battery technology will have to catch up to support large
scale production of high capacity and safe batteries for electric cars
and the issue on ethanol is covered already.

- If I would buy a car today then it would be a diesel - and a diesel
that is certified for running biodiesel. Unfortunately the latest cars
with particle filters are not certified for using biodiesel - only
some brands supporting EU 3 classification can run 100% biodiesel. One
source for biodiesel that does not compete with food production and
gives a large number of positive side effects is jathropha - a bush
that can grow on soils that are not suitable for most other
vegetation, demands relatively less water and which fruits not only
supply vegetable oil of high quality but also eatable "waste products"
after extraction of the oil. The remnant products from the fruits can
be used for feeding cattle or other livestock, the bush give cover for
the soil (preventing erosion), can be used to hinder expansion of
deserts and other parts of the bush and the fruits can be used for
other products as well. One can invest in jathropha - www.biofuel.no.

- One large contribution one can give to lower the CO2 - contribution
is to avoid eating meat - especially beef from cows and bulls. This
due to the fact that this livestock generates a lot of methane - a
climate change gas that is about 20 times stronger than CO2. 100 g of
beef generates in total about 25 kgs of climate change gasses - and of
more than half is related to the growing up of the cow and the methane
it generates during its lifetime. Then is the issue of what the cow
eats - if it is not grass while "strolling around" then that
production of feed for the cow generates about a quarter of the
production of climate change gasses for the cow. CO2 from
transportation in both consumer layer and the production /
distribution layer has a relatively small impact. So look more at
eating chicken if you are to eat meat...

- A pig generates about 10 times more feces than a human. Eating port
thus generates a lot of problems for the environment - not only
methane generation but also threats to ground water aquifers and water
supply etc.

- Isolation of houses can contribute a lot - one can isolate against
heat in the same way as one can isolate against cold. Chilled air can
be maintained more in well isolated houses than not-so isolated ones.
And one great cost in the future will be air conditioning. And one
might look into new ways of cooling ones house - it will be warmer in
the future. In about 100 years time it is estimated that the
Mediterranean area of Europe will have the same climatic zone as
northern Africa has today. This will present extreme problems for the
populations in that region and one will have to really re-think how
one will modify buildings, urban planning etc  since one cannot be
dependent on additional cheap energy. I think you will have the same
problem in the US and other areas of the world.

One has to be multi-dimensional in the future solutions to get
anywhere...

Take care,

Stene

___