What makes a susscesful mailing list?

Steve Farmer hts at hts.com.au
Fri May 9 04:46:14 EDT 2008

Hi

Apologies for posting to both lists.

I have been thinking a little about what makes a successful mailing
list and have come to the conclusion that, apart from a good spirited
exchange, it id the people who answer the questions who really make
the list.

The lurkers add nothing, the questioners are essential but they would
soon stop posting if they did not get answers.

So, IMO, the critical piece is the people who freely give of their
time and expertise to answer questions.

A quick scan of the list archives will easily reveal that the
majority of the questions are answered by a relatively small number
of people.

I would also suggest that these people have every right to be
involved in the way that the list is run and managed

Regards
Steve
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
–Abraham Lincoln, U.S. president (1809-1865)
Support free speech; visit http://www.efa.org.au/

Heads Together Software Pty Ltd http://www.hts.com.au
Email: hts at hts.com.au